Karie and I have watched a couple episodes of "Ace of Cakes" on TV when we are bored--those cake decorators are
incredible! We always get hungry for cake while we watch, amazed at the cakes that Duff and his people create. At the risk of sounding like we watch too much TV (and we do!), we recently watched the movie "Because I Said So." Great movie--and at the end, they show a pretty cool wedding cake with colored polka dots all over it. I think this was Karie's breaking point. She was suddenly inspired to make
and decorate a cake. We looked up tips for using and making fondant (the smooth stuff that goes over icing to make the cakes look so good), and eventually made a trip to the store to buy
pre-made fondant and some supplies. It took us at least 3 hours to finish this cake. Matt's mom's icing recipe is amazing, and we had to make two batches to cover the cake. Icing the cake was my job, and I have to say I was horrible at it! It took me forever to get that stuff smooth. Later we realized that it didn't need to be perfectly smooth since the fondant covers many of the flaws. Karie is the fondant roller-outer, and she is great at coloring the fondant, too! Here was our creation:

We had so much fun making this cake, and the funniest part was that it tasted awful! Fondant isn't known for being yummy, but somehow the cake underneath was bad, too. We laughed at ourselves and said we'd try again soon. Then the opportunity came! Our sister-in-law, Stephanie's birthday is Jan. 15, so we made a cake for her birthday dinner. This time, we used Linda's icing recipe AND cake recipe, and the cake tasted MUCH better. (Thanks, Linda!) Our decorating time was less than an hour, and I think it turned out better! We joke around about starting a cake company (hence the title above) so that we can save up for an expensive camera to start our own photography business! And now I think I've let everyone in a bit too much on just how crazy Karie and I really are. :)

Steph's birthday cake!!
3 comments:
so fun! great job! i am impressed!
WOW!!!! Awesome job!
Maybe we could go to cake university together at Michaels. I had fun taking my class... like 4 years ago.. :)
Thanks, you guys! Liz, let's do it!!! I need to know how to make flowers and fancy stuff. Do you know how to use fondant?
Post a Comment