Sunday, November 16, 2008

Wean: Day Three



We are more than halfway through our five day wean! Trenton's again making some great progress and is so surprisingly tough!! He's been so happy (even giddy at times), and seems so much more comfortable with the idea of putting food in his mouth. Since Friday, he has bitten into a cookie, a few pretzels, and a won ton! He isn't swallowing the bites yet, but we cannot believe that he's brave enough to try using his teeth for the first time! He's been happy to lick foods like cheese, bread, candy bracelets, crackers, etc., too! WOOHOO! Usually he'd just hand the food back to us or not even touch it.





The poor little guy got pretty cranky a couple of hours before bedtime tonight. He snapped out of it a little as he dipped his spoon into some banana pudding (much to Matt's disgust, I'm sure) and licked it off! He loves yelling "Off!" as he realizes he has some sort of dip on a spoon or cracker. I had to remind him to take the spoon out of his mouth so that he'd actually swallow the pudding (can't forget the whole goal of this weaning fun!) instead of letting it drip back out of his mouth. He even licked some crumbs off of a strawberry wafer cookie (again, to Matt's disgust) and really seemed to like it.

I am praying that he will wake up his giddy little self tomorrow rather than the obviously hungry, cranky child we saw tonight. More importantly, I am praying that he somehow begins to make that association between the hunger pangs and relief when he swallows some food. We are SO proud of his successes so far, and cannot believe how far he's come in such a short time! More to come soon!!!

1 comment:

Liz Todd said...

This is so amazing--and at the same time, so painful to think about. We're praying for more victories tomorrow! I think you are the bravest, strongest mom I ever knew. Praying for continued strength!